Airport Committee Meeting: True Market Study Highlights
The April Airport Committee Meeting provided a few highlights of a recently completely true market study. The study completed by Sixel Consulting analyzed the Toledo market between October 2011 and November 2012. The size of the Toledo Express catchment area is 981,000 residents which generates over $526 million in revenue per year for air travel and related industries.
- The study found that 510,000 residents are within a 30 minute drive of Toledo Express.
- The total catchment area for Toledo Express is 981,000 residents.
- The true market for Toledo is 3,241 passengers per day each way (pdew).
- Toledo Express captures 5.7% of its catchment area which equates to 185 pdew.
- Detroit Metro captures 64.3% of the Toledo catchment area or 2,084 pdew.
- Of the total passengers, 372 are international bound and Toledo only retains 2.8% of those.
- Delta Air Lines was the largest airline of all Toledo catchment passengers carrying 44%.
- United Airlines was the second largest with 12.4%.
- American Airlines came in third with 10.3%.
Market Breakdown (Top markets)
- Orlando (MCO) / Sanford (SFB) is the largest market with 259 pdew with only 36 retained or 13.9% of the market.
- Miami (MIA) / Fort Lauderdale (FLL) / West Palm Beach (PBI) came in second with 206 pdew and only 3 retained.
- Las Vegas (LAS) was third with 197 pdew and only 1 passenger retained each day.
- Chicago (ORD / MDW) has 174 pdew and had 28 passengers retained each day for 16% of the market.
- Tampa (TPA) / St. Petersburg (PIE) produced 152 pdew with 41 of those retained or 27% of the market.
- Phoenix (PHX) came in sixth.
- Fort Myers (RSW) / Punta Gorda (PGD) was seventh.
- New York City (LGA/JFK) / Newark (EWR) was eight.
- Los Angeles (LAX) / Burbank (BUR) / Ontario (ONT) / Orange County (SNA) came in 9th overall.
- Washington DC (DCA / IAD) / Baltimore (BWI) rounded out the top ten.
- Cancun (CUN)
- Montego Bay (MBJ)
- London, UK (LHR / LGW)